Meta Gamma Delta $1M Fund
Taking a comprehensive approach to women-led initiatives: inspiring women to enter our world and making space for what they bring! A public good.
We are proposing that MolochDAO become the cornerstone partner of a $1M fund to create an end-to-end solution that attracts more women into the space, creates opportunities for them to succeed and opens the way to their contribution to the blossoming of the ecosystem. We see this as an essential public good.
It’s easy to see that the solutions that will serve the most people will come from the creativity and work of a widely representative group. True advances in human coordination will involve asking everyone to participate - not only in what the answers are - but most importantly, what the questions are.
The core of our work is to support women in web3. We already do that by providing grants of $5-20k to women-led initiatives.
But we believe that to really move the needle, we need to onboard more women, make sure they get the tools and education they need to contribute and succeed and spur their compensation by funding their initiatives and contributing to significant job placements.
In other words, to fund women-led initiatives, we need to bring more women in the front door and support them when they get here. (It’s not only women that are needed, and we hope this model will inspire others.)
We all jumped into this space because we were inspired and we could see the opportunities opening out before us. But many of us bootstrapped our way in by working a day job, then working at night on our passion; by getting financial support from family & friends; by being lucky in early investments; or by whatever means we had to buy the time to learn. There will be more like us. But who are we missing? Who is out there who lives on what they earn week-to-week and can’t stop for a learning curve? What would their contribution bring? Would they surprise us?
We believe that to really move the needle, we need an end-to-end solution:
- Find potential new talent, and knockdown their barriers to entry
- Provide robust educational opportunities through scholarships with major educational partners. (This year Consensys provided scholarships for 10 Meta Gamma Delta members to Consensys Developer Bootcamp.)
- Create or partner on a starter income program that supports women while they are gaining skills and onboarding (3 months for women who are accepted into the program).
- Provide mentorship and other resources from Meta Gamma Delta and other partnerships.
- Through these partnerships and our network, help with job placement upon completion of the program.
- Continue to support women-led initiatives and startups, creating a wider footprint by actively sourcing more projects through hackathons and by other means.
Product Features / Cornerstone Phase
Create the foundational curriculum for a multi-year initiative. Map out curriculum, supporting partnerships, workstreams, compensation / reward models, recruitment, and other necessary tooling.
- Create paths for different skill sets that are relevant to ecosystem needs.
- Establish major partnerships in all aspects of the program, from education and job services to mentorship and support services.
- It’s not a passive service; we need to ramp up bounties and workstreams aimed at identifying good candidates from traditional companies, educational institutions, or related fields, and attracting them to apply.
- Evaluate and apply compensation models and universal basic income programs to provide financial bootstrapping.
- Create concrete strategies and systems for identifying women with relevant skills and interests outside the ecosystem, and attracting their interest. This may go from granular (web2 to web3 for instance) to broad (DAOs as the future of work).
Our validation is our track record and reputation. This is an ambitious project for us, but as a collective, we have the knowledge, relationships, and saavy to build a path for those to come.
Though the grant is requested to build a new program, this may partially be considered retroactive public goods funding. We have a track record as an early and well-regarded Moloch DAO.
Currently, at about 80 members, we’ve onboarded many of these by mentoring them through the process. We hold monthly calls that cover a wide range of topics from learning about DeFi protocols such as Aave, to discussing legal issues in the DAO space, and even sharing PR tips to get more awareness for your project.
We’ve provided grants to DeFi dapps such as Good Ghosting, publications like The Defiant, and art initiatives like DADA collective.
There is so much more we can do, not only to give women-led initiatives a helping hand but to make sure there are more women building and spreading impact.
Differentiation (from other projects)
- Meta Gamma Delta has deep roots in the Ethereum community. As a DAO that has a low barrier to entry, we are used to providing support services and mentorship to those new to the space.
- We propose to launch the most comprehensive diversity initiative we know of to date in Ethereum and the DAO space.
- Partnerships will be essential to this initiative, gathering assistance from all quarters, but also - importantly - enabling other DAOs, companies, and entities to collaborate on this major public good.
- Meta Gamma Delta DAO was summoned in 2019 and has approximately 80 members currently. We have web3 entrepreneurs, developers, DeFi experts, …We have the capacity to provide meaningful mentorship in various aspects of Ethereum. Meta Gamma Delta members are accomplished in their areas of expertise.
- Partner DAOs - we propose to partner with other DAOs to fill out the workstreams. We will need a variety of people to design and implement this ambitious program. We may look to Raid Guild cohorts, Metagame, Padawan DAO, and others - and create not only workstreams for their members but also a meaningful trade of value in terms of mentorship and opportunity.
- We will engage with other diversity initiatives such as Panvala’s Women-Led Coalition and Jovian to inform the development of this work.
- Upon receipt of the cornerstone grant, we will form a working group of 5-10 MGD members to jumpstart this initiative.
We are looking for 10 partners at $100k each to generate, grow and sustain this action-oriented, impactful and directed initiative. Our cornerstone partner will seed the ground and help us attract 9 more visionary supporters of inclusion. This is just one more way Ethereum makes an impact on the world at large.
What the Funds Are For
MGD has been an all-volunteer operation. To deliver on a project of this magnitude, we will need to conduct a discovery phase, create paid workstreams, recruit skilled workers and create a pilot program to test the concept:
- Create a pilot program for 3-5 women for the first round of the program in about a year.
- Partnership development
- Program development: develop structure around the path from onboarding through education to job placement or startup initiative, and create paths for developers as well as some specific non-technical paths in areas of need for the ecosystem: marketing, project management, business development, etc.
- Recruiting program including incentives and bounties
- Documentation of all of the above, with detailed milestones and budget for successive phases.
- Success metrics and questionnaires for an ongoing assessment of the program
The timeline should be about a year, with the first three months dedicated to mapping out the rest. We will make all of our work products public and accessible so others may track our progress and copy our models as desired.
Aside from funds, we will ask MolochDAO members for help creating relevant partnerships, providing advisors to the project, and to provide mentorship to our program participants. We appreciate your consideration and would be proud to list MolochDAO, a DAO known for firsts, as our cornerstone partner.
Additional Resources, Links, Portfolio