Streamlining Diamond DAO Comms

Some thoughts on making async DAO comms easier to keep up with and keeping DAO meetings organized.

Open to any and all additional ideas.

Two components: async comms + meetings.

Goals
A good system will:

• make it easy to find critical information (async)
  • make it easy to stay up to date with various DAO updates remotely, without meetings (async)
  • have efficient and organized meetings
  • be a system that runs itself

Goal: weekly calls that run themselves:

Prep work:

• A calendar invite for the recurring community call
    • Set the sync at a recurring time to make planning easier
    • Include a link to the Zoom on the invite
    • Include a link to the Agendas folder on the invite
  • Collaborative agenda (hosted on either Notion or Quip) where anyone can add agenda items
    • Top of agenda includes a link to the forum for easy access
    • Everyone in the DAO can add items to the agenda

Weekly call proposed structure:

1. Silence for ten minutes while everyone catches up on the forum (a la Amazon meetings). This can help ensure that everyone is up to date on forum discussions before the meeting begins in earnest.
  2. Fast Standup: 1-2 minutes per person for bullet-point-updates. Discussion items are pushed to the Open Discussion part of the call.
  3. Last minute agenda additions. Agenda open discussion items are prioritized collectively. (1-2 minutes)
  4. Open discussion.

Goal: better async comms:

• Reduce channel count in Discord to make it more manageable.
  • Figure out channel topics that are clear so its obvious where content should go
  • Create a Links/FAQ channel with links to Forum (public), Notion (private, internal), Website, Twitter, etc. (Nobody can post to the channel, it’ll just be an internal reference / FAQ.)

Other things to try and remember doing as individuals…

• Treat forum as the permanent record + collective store of knowledge
  • After posting something on the forum, cross-post to Discord and tag necessary people to see it
  • Remind each other to post summaries of good calls / interesting Discord chats into the forum to commit it to the organization memory

Open to more ideas and best practices.

1 Like

I agree with all of this.

What Discord channels should we remove?

@amphiboly.eth

Lets start with very few channels and then add/change as we need.

Perhaps to start we can have two categories with a few channels each:

DAO INITIATIVES

• #general (anything dao related)
  • #intros (new peeps)
  • #governance (meta: running the dao)
  • #treasury (funding & treasury mgmt; money in, money out)
  • #watercooler (news, fun, banter)
  • #links (static FAQ channel that nobody can post in. Has links to forum, internal notion, etc.)

CHAINVERSE

• #product (PM-ish product + design stuff)
  • #outreach (ux interviews, sales efforts, etc)
  • #devs (building)

And we remove everything else.

Misc notes:

• Roles get very little use and are confusing: “do I post something in the channel that fits my role, or the topic of my post?”
  • Continuing Education can be collapsed into one channel; ideally just watercooler for now; most of these channels see little use as it is
  • funding and treasury management can be combined

We can split these up a little better, actually. More scannable like this:

DAO INITIATIVES

• #general (anything dao related)
  • #governance (meta: running the dao)
  • #treasury (funding & treasury mgmt; money in, money out)
  • #watercooler (news, fun, banter)

CHAINVERSE

• #product (PM-ish product + design stuff)
  • #outreach (ux interviews, sales efforts, etc)
  • #devs (building)

WELCOME

• #intros (new peeps)
  • #links (static FAQ channel that nobody can post in. Has links to forum, internal notion, etc.)
1 Like

This looks good to me.

Cool, going to let this linger here for another day and then will make the changes on Wednesday or Thursday this week.

1 Like

I agree with all of these new directions. I would suggest posting the “Other things to try…” stuff in the discord as well when you roll this out.

3 Likes

@Feralchain made a great point on our UX call about “the smaller room.” When you think there is a smaller room where the real core discussion is happening then the community discord isn’t authentic or succeeding at offering transparency for all. I’d like us to make the goal of using our comms tools honestly and efficiently, as @adilmajid.eth has designed, so that we all feel included in the most meaningful levels of this project.

1 Like

boom:

old channels are temporarily in the Deleting in 7d section and will be deleted in a week

I agree with all of this. Thank you for the thoughtful framework you’ve laid out @adilmajid.eth.