OtterSpace to Help Facilitate Better Onboarding UX?

First take a look at Otter space :point_left: Deck

tl;dr - otterspace is an onboarding tool created for DAOs to help facilitate a more seamless onboarding experience specifically for new members onboarding into discord.

There are several problems we could solve by using OtterSpace to help users onboard to our discord.

First I will take you through each of the problems sequentially, and after I will attempt to prescribe some solutions helping to alleviate the major pain points that I have identified.

The output of this discovery will provide DAOhaus with a solution to the first step in onboarding new users, with a second order benefit of addressing additional factors causing unwanted friction in the onboarding/discord user flow.

::: spoiler Problem(s) for When a User Joins the discord

• #welcome message legibility is not great without any clear grouping of information, bolding, or bullet points to offer organization

• There is no pre-screening or set of actions that the user is required to take before they get added to the list of general channels.
  • New joiners only have to use the Castle :european_castle: emoji with CarlBot verifying they have “read the rule”, not explicitly identifying what the rule is.

img { width: 250px; }
    • new joiners are asked to check out #haus-roles without much context given for why they would want to add a role to their avatar in the first place.
    • new joiners do not get a lot out of the general channels as the majority of important discussions remain contained to the tracks, circles, or warcamp channels.
    • currently engaging new joiners requires a lot of upfront effort. Without someone to consistently engage them, there is no way to ensure that the first touch for new joiners is a really good one.
    • there is no mechanism to easily distribute roles automatically based off some action taken inside of discord
    • discord does not provide an admin dashboard that utilizes web3 auth to manage discord roles and preliminary onboarding.

:::

::: spoiler DAOhaus Solution(s) -

• Enable Welcome action Message that asks users to verify that they have:
    1. read our Manifesto
    2. Code of Conduct
    3. Introduce token
    4. Learned about Tracks
    • After preceeding step is complete, send individual to select their roles within DAOhaus. Carlbot permissions access to relevant channels based on roles selection.
    • Create a channel for introductions where access is permitted only after new joiners introduce themselves telling us:
      • What would you like us to know about you or your project?
      • What brings you to DAOhaus?
      • Who or what helped you to find us?

::: spoiler Otterspace Solution
Note - each of the following steps is configurable through the otterspace admin dashboard that connects to your web3 wallet.

• Utilize otterspace to provide users with context ahead of joining the discord, requiring that the user take certain actions in the otterspace dapp

1. Reading the DAOhaus Manifesto
      2. Connecting wallet to the discord
      3. Signing code of conduct
      4. Buying tokens
      5. Selecting “role”
    • After having done each of the above steps, you earn a Badge granting you Level-1 access in the discord. What’s even cooler, the Badge is an NFT that can be brought with you wherever you and your wallet go.

Depending on what chain the NFT is on, it may be easier to do POAPs. really like the idea of some type of on-chain badging here to help people build their web3 resumes.

To gain access to Level-2, new members will have to:

1. Provide their nickname
  2. Introduce themselves in the discord
  3. Follow the DAOhaus twitter
  4. Subscirbe to the newsletter
  5. complete any additional steps that we would like to add to the flow.

What is really neat about otterspace is each of these blocks are configurable. Additionally otterspace comes with a bot that can check for “templates” where if a user introduces themselves in the discord using our template we can check 1-for-1 if they have completed that step, enabling us to grant the Level-2 role permissionlessly for contributors using the otter member role NFTs.

This could drive implications for how we decide to permission access to other roles within the DAOhaus discord.

The Crux of Onboarding - Permissions and Access

There have been several revolving discussions about how to better engage new community members interested in getting involved in both the DAOhaus ecosystem and Warcamp.

DAOhaus unlike many communties across the web3 space has a real product, real contributors, and a real supporter base through its community!

There is an opportunity and challenge to convey to new contributors the culture of trust that we have cultivated through building the DAOhaus product and supporting the DAO ecosystem.

Trust is the key to onboarding new contributors, where I propose a connector role that any Warcamp member can fill to facilitate a buddy-system and better onboarding UX within the Haus.

Connectors are accountable to Warcamp and relied on to bring only the best and most aligned contributors into DAOhaus. Connectors will be provided a “trust-checklist” that can be used to determine whether or not a new contributor could be a good fit for Warcamp.

Connectors have a strong sense of the relationships across DAOhaus and Warcamp, offering new contributors the best insight into the opportunties and connections possibly available to them. They serve a crucial function helping the new member get acquainted and connected in the HAUS.

A breakdown of the flow is as follows:

After a new discord member has filled out the role(s) that he or she would like to fill (summoner, supporter, contributor, scholar)

• Member gains access, have a connector ready to receive the new community member into the discord. If possible, surface a DAOhaus calendly to setup a 1-on-1 with an existing Warcamp member or connector.
  • Share community links (Haus Party, Open Haus, Summoners Workshop) inviting the new member to participate in the human elements of DAOhaus.
  • During the 1-on-1 with the new member, take notes!
  • After the meeting establish communications with the new contributor, help provide the resources needed to complete their first task.
  • Then fill out the "trust-checklist"
    • [x] - complete 1-on-1
    • [x] - complete task
    • [x] - know someone/connected with a Warcamper (friend/family/mutual-friend)
    • [x] - have a portfolio of work
    • [x] - shows alignment with project (contribution, HAUS holder, tweets, articles, etc.)
    • [x] - provides valuable feedback on app (shows positive intent)
    • [x] - other (add yours here?)
  • A new contributor should have to meet at least three of the checkboxes, with the first two checkboxes in the list being mandatory.
  • If the new contributor has checked off three of the boxes including the first two, then the connector invites them into the circle they want to contribute to.
  • Connector helps to find the new contributor a buddy, or an assortment of buddies to stay connected with that can help them find their way in the Haus.
  • After invited to circle, new contributor is invited to join circle meeting to see if there is continued alignment and interest in contributing to DAOhaus.
  • If new contributor continues to show interest, picking up work along the way then there is a determination through soft-consensus by the group or approval from circle leaders to give the new contributor access to the Warcamp-temp role which offers time-limited access to the internal conversations and developments of Warcamp for up to 60-days - allowing the new contributor to:
  1. prove they are aligned, have good character, and are competent
  2. prove they can add value
  3. decide if contributing at DAOhaus is the right fit
  4. earn HAUS in coordinape for staking in WC
  5. gain deeper understanding of DAOhaus internal dynamics and form relationships with Warcamp contributors

This system of onboarding new contributors into Warcamp would compliment the existing onboarding structure while preserving the benefits of process minimization.

It would allow the human element and trust factor in onboarding to play a crucial role, without overburdening the contributor or the connector with unnecessary processes.

I encourage everyone who reads this proposal to try and introduce adaptations where you feel it warranted, providing some context to why those changes should be made so we can collectively progress and discern the best model for onboarding into the Haus!

Stoked you are stepping up and moving this conversation forward. This post is packed with good ideas but conflates a number of issues:

• Discord HAUS Keeping
  • Otterspace Testing
  • Connector Role

How can we come to an agreement on what problem we are trying to solve before jumping to solutions?

Hopefully, we can agree the Discord join flow is outdated and confusing.

How can we break this down into small steps and measure the impact of the changes?

When we change too many variables at once it is difficult to attribute what is working and what is not.

Unfortunately, deck linked at the top requires a sign-in :nauseated_face: and my boomer brain forgot my email address.

This is an important issue that can be explored independently. If this is true how might we address this problem?

Here are some thoughts about the proposed steps:

1. The Manifesto is kinda more Warcampy than DAOhaus so IDK if this is necessary. Like the idea just wondering
  2. Do we have a Code of Conduct?
  3. This may be valuable but we would need to figure out a creative approach
  4. What tracks are we referring to and should those be revisited?
  • What are we trying to achieve with the role system?
  • How does it benefit users and what value does it provide the DAO?

I like the idea of a standardized introduction. We should consider what we want to learn about new members and how to help them feel comfortable quickly.

I dig Otterspace and think it is worth trying out. However, much of their solution is what happens before you get to Discord. It would be beneficial to consider the flows independently. There may be some low hanging fruit issues that can be addressed with Discord regardless of how someone arrives.

Are we considering Otterspace to be a gate that Discord users are required to pass through or just an option?

I tested the Otterspace tool last week and was impressed:

There is a lot of potential to levels and NFTs. Including lore and imagery in a choose your own adventure that could be super dope.

Have been in conversations with @bendobbrick#1111 since December. He did a great job of documenting our existing DAOHaus Onboarding Flow. Would like to use this research as a baseline for what we are trying to optimize.

• What can we do to make this flow enjoyable?
  • How fast can we make people feel welcome and valued?
  • What do we want people to do after this flow and how can we make that as frictionless as possible?

How does Otterspace compliment/conflict with the Collab.Land Points System?

:heart:

• How can we combine these in a meaningful way to reduce the friction while still achieving a threshold of trust?
  • Does this matter to the DAOhaus community or is this part of Warcamp on-boarding?
  • Can we agree the Connector role is meaningful and then allow those interested in the role the freedom to define what that role does?

Overall I am glad we are thinking about improving these experiences.

How do you eat an elephant?

1 Like

The first step here is taking action. We can have our hypothesis of what might work and what won’t, and there are trade-offs with each choice we make - so I am in support of taking this re-org one step at a time, making small changes sequentially, and revisiting to see if we were successful at accomplishing our goals.

I think we can start with a pre-screening message such as this one to ensure that new joiners complete a set of steps before getting access to the channels.

• The issue that this is solving is that there are too many people who join our discord without context for what DAOhaus is, they are looking to learn more, or they have an interest in contributing and have no idea where to begin, as emojing up theWelcome message is the only required action that be taken as a new joiner.

Following the prescreening message access is gained, and the user can only send a message in the intro’s channel - telling us three things:

• What would you like us to know about you or your project?
  • What brings you to DAOhaus?
  • Who or what helped you to find us?

After which they are able to gain access to the HAUS Roles channel where they have to select a role for their avatar.

Exploring this issue independently, I think we consult WC on the best options - but here are two that I see as solid opportunties for increasing engagement:

• Give read-access to the channels that WC is more active in so the community can see that we are not a dead community
    or
  • Induce WC to participate more in the #trackschannels, sharing any and all information that is not indemnifying, indicting, or inviting scrutiny in a negative sense to our labors.

I think it is pretty DAOhausy > Warcampy - we actually had this discussion yesterday in Alchemists and we shared thoughts that the DAOhaus Manifesto is for DAOhaus the ecosystem and not for Warcamp alone.

No, but we can write one :sunglasses:

Agreed, not necessary IMHO - might be fun to think about how we can do this in the future though if we want to permission access using token holdings. I know BanklessDAO requires 35k BANK to be a DAO member in the discord which I think is pretty cool. Just thinking about ways to get more people Holding > Dumping HAUS

I would urge that we keep the all of the tracks, but improve them by organizing them under one category. We could create a new Getting Started message and preserve #open-chat, #proof-of-work, #proof-of-dao etc.

These are two valid questions, I think the roles system is different from the tracks but the two are interrelated

• Roles are trying to achieve bringing granularity or definition to the discord, while giving individuals the ability to choose where they best fit within both DAOhaus the ecosystem as well as Warcamp - It might be worth exploring ways to give users more granularity within the different tracks to help them become more active in the areas they are most interested.
  • Roles benefit users by giving them identity in the DAOhaus discord, additionally - those roles provide access to certain areas that users with other roles cannot access, making the conversations focused to the domain specific tied to the role. The benefit to DAOhaus is that we can see at a high-level what the user/contributors area of interest is and we can help them to be more successful at achieving their goals with this in mind. This creates better organization overall for the DAO and helps connectors or stewards to pick out the most aligned and value adding contributors.

+1

+1 - I think would love your help and whoever else is interested in identifying those lower hanging fruit, I think the issues of access and organization are two that could be addressed in tandem, but we need more minds on how to do this without disrupting the existing flow that is working.

Unfortunately, a gate.

!tips upon introductions and 1-on-1 following role selection and expression of interest in contributing.

It would directly conflict, and I would say after writing this post it seems apparent that we might want to move forward with testing Collab.Land Points and preserving our existing structure with some minute changes needed with the screening and action messages.

Specific to Warcamp onboarding.

Totally down with this!

Thanks for your comments @earth2travis!