Initial Polling Discovery: Questions and Assumptions to Explore on Friday 11-19

Initial Polling Discovery: Assumptions and Questions

Assumptions

1. Surveys provide useful information that is unavailable from other sources.

2. DAO members will want some degree of anonymity when completing a survey.
    a) There may be tension here. Several community managers have said they would want to know who provided what answer so they could direct help or resources towards the user. Could we balance through automation? I.e. community manager designs the response & we handle outreach?

3. DAO members will be more likely to complete a survey for financial reward.

4. Survey data can be meaningfully synthesized with data from other sources to generate unique insights.

5. Google forms are not suboptimal survey delivery mechanism.

6. Diamond DAO can add value by linking recommendations or other actions to survey answers.

Questions

Product strategy questions

1. Can we provide survey completers with recommendations based off of their survey results?

2. Can we provide survey analyzers with recommendations based off of their survey results?

3. What expectations of privacy do DAO members have for their survey results?

4. To what extent would we need to reward DAO members for completing surveys? What is the best way to reward them?
    a) Diamond DAO token?
    b) DAO token?
    c) Cash compensation?
    d) Access to Chainverse ecosystem view?
    e) Other?

5. Should we provide community manager end-users the ability to create their own surveys? Are there any other end-users who would benefit from the ability to create surveys (perhaps marketing @ product or protocol DAOs)?

6. Are there any opporutnities to aggregate insights across DAOs into data/media products?
    a) I.e. DAO Vibes Index?
    b) Insights for protocols or investors?
    c) Insights for researchers / public policy?

7. Can we implement group incentives – i.e. DAO gets reward if completion rate is high?

Product logistics questions

1. How does an end user know they are eligible to complete a survey?

2. How do end-users consume survey results?

3. What is the best method of survey delivery?
    a) Chainverse app?
    b) Typeform?
    c) Sesh
    d) Google survey?

4. How do we make completing the polling fun?

Survey substance

1. Which questions should we ask? Why? If we could only ask 1 question what should it be? Three questions?

2. Should we have one survey to start or multiple?

3. Are there frameworks (i.e. the framework that guided the Index Coop survey) that are relevant here?

4. Should we limit length of survey to ensure high completion rate?
    a) Could we do different surveys at different cadences? I.e. a short one biweekly, longer one bimonthly, even longer one biannaually?

Engineering and Data

1. What would we associate survey respondent answers to? Would we need multiple tables (i.e respondent (known), answer (unknown))?
    a) A Diamond DAO generated UUID?
    b) Wallet address?
    c) Discord username?

2. Are existing Web3 polling frameworks suitable for our use case? I.e. Open Vote Framework - https://github.com/stonecoldpat/anonymousvoting

3. What options do we have for implementing polling under the following constraints:
    a) Output can be analyzed and aggregated
    b) User can configure level of anonymity, while preserving a)
    c) Gas efficient

Next steps

I propose that we take one week to provide preliminary answers to these questions. I think that everyone with an interest in providing answers should choose whatever methods (asking people in other DAOs, online research, thinking really hard) they think are most appropriate for answering these questions.

Post your answers as a response to this post; please be sure to include any underlying source information, even if it’s just “this was inspired by talking to my friend from another DAO.”

Also, I’m sure I’ve missed important questions. If you want to add questions please post them to #Squad so others have an opportunity to address before the Friday meeting.

It is okay if your answers are preliminary, informal, and incomplete. Right now we are in the Discovery Phase. Right now the most important thing is gathering the context to explore the right questions in a more focused way.

Diamond DAO resources

Please reach out to @amphiboly if you would like to use Diamond DAO resources to get answers to your questions. Some options:

• Poll the Discord using Sesh
  • Poll our twitter followers using the Diamond DAO twitter
  • Have a Diamond DAO member ask your questions to folks in their networks.

One interesting idea that @ricepapi raised (in the vein of making the surveys fun) would is creating a DAO Glassdoor.

Here is the Glassdooor review for my old company.

This would be an interesting frame that could synthesize insights from different sources and would be very useful for DAO contributors:

• We could put our compensation data under “compensation”
  • We could aggregate survey results into star ratings, insights (i.e. "% would recommend to a friend) etc.

We could make it a bit “tongue in cheek” for fun. Could also do interesting rewards schemes for users: i.e. the more people check out their review, the more they are compensated.

2 Likes

[quote=“amphiboly.eth, post:1, topic:5570”]

Assumptions

1. Surveys provide useful information that is unavailable from other sources.

Validated: https://gov.indexcoop.com/t/what-we-learned-from-the-survey/2622

1. DAO members will want some degree of anonymity when completing a survey.

Not necessarily true.

a) There may be tension here. Several community managers have said they would want to know who provided what answer so they could direct help or resources towards the user. Could we balance through automation? I.e. community manager designs the response & we handle outreach?

We should design and the community manager should handle outreach. It is up to the community to make it anon or not. That said, we should also help with data interpretation.

1. DAO members will be more likely to complete a survey for financial reward.

Not true in my experience. I actually found if properly constructed people are more than willing to complete the surveys. Also, operating under the assumption that we are not peppering the community with surveys 1x a week.

1. Survey data can be meaningfully synthesized with data from other sources to generate unique insights.

100%, this is where we could draw interesting insights

1. Google forms are not suboptimal survey delivery mechanism.

Google forms were adequate, but when we used this it also felt like there could be an easier/better way

1. Diamond DAO can add value by linking recommendations or other actions to survey answers.

Yes, I believe DD should help with interpretation, providing recs

Questions

Product strategy questions

1. Can we provide survey completers with recommendations based off of their survey results?
  2. Can we provide survey analyzers with recommendations based off of their survey results?

I am a little confused with the two questions above. But, yes we can provide recommendations. I dont think this needs to be automated and would require interpretation from both teams (Ours and the community implementing the survey).

1. What expectations of privacy do DAO members have for their survey results?

We should provide the option, but this should be decided by the community giving the survey. I do not view this as a concern for implementation.

1. To what extent would we need to reward DAO members for completing surveys? What is the best way to reward them?
    a) Diamond DAO token?
    b) DAO token?
    c) Cash compensation?
    d) Access to Chainverse ecosystem view?
    e) Other?

I would rather this be implemented fast, with more thought around construction of survey outcomes. For instance, are people in the community happy? Or are we paid fairly? People will do this for free to gather unique insights about their community. We should be the ones interpreting the data.

Data insights > compensation. This could be added after we prove surveys aas a viable concept.

1. Should we provide community manager end-users the ability to create their own surveys? Are there any other end-users who would benefit from the ability to create surveys (perhaps marketing @ product or protocol DAOs)?

We should have a curated set of surveys in which the community manager can choose from. We should also offer the ability to create custom surveys, but at a cost. I am a proponent of shipping a survey MVP fast. A lot of work re: questions to ask are in the forum post I attached at the top of this response. We could do ~5 surveys with different functionality (various insights) at first and expand from there. If communities are using this initial subset we should expand to surveys at various levels within the communities (ie. working group level).

1. Are there any opporutnities to aggregate insights across DAOs into data/media products?
    a) I.e. DAO Vibes Index?
    b) Insights for protocols or investors?
    c) Insights for researchers / public policy?

100% - agree on all of the above. This would be a question after we prove adoption/use. Everything you mentioned would be valuable.

1. Can we implement group incentives – i.e. DAO gets reward if completion rate is high?

Interesting concept and I like this better than individual incentive. I think this should be explored further once/if surveys add value. Reiterating I dont think its worth overengineering in the upfront.

Product logistics questions

1. How does an end user know they are eligible to complete a survey?

We can create canned forum posts to make it easy for the community manager to disseminate. We could also allow the community manager to select method of communication. Ie. providing discord updates.

1. How do end-users consume survey results?

Through visuals, followed by downloadable data into csv. We should also interpret this as a community and provide a report to whoever completes the survey with actionable insights.

1. What is the best method of survey delivery?
    a) Chainverse app?

Chainverse app - The KEY reason to do surveys is to encourage enegagement within the chainverse platform.

b) Typeform?
c) Sesh
d) Google survey?

4. How do we make completing the polling fun?

Survey substance

1. Which questions should we ask? Why? If we could only ask 1 question what should it be? Three questions?
  2. Should we have one survey to start or multiple?
  3. Are there frameworks (i.e. the framework that guided the Index Coop survey) that are relevant here?
  4. Should we limit length of survey to ensure high completion rate?
    5.a) Could we do different surveys at different cadences? I.e. a short one biweekly, longer one bimonthly, even longer one biannaually?*

1.I would rather keep this discussion off the forums, especially for which questions we ask. A lot of thought went into the survey design within the index coop. The survey was more nuanced and used validated frameworks, for which we drew upon for questions.

2.Start with multiple canned surveys for the community to choose from. Allow them to be combined if necessary, not to exceed a certain # of questions. Ie. You want to learn about transparency + compensation. Here are 5 pre-canned questions each.

3.Yes relevant frameworks! 100%

4.Yes, no more than 20 questions. It should take someone less than 5 minutes to complete.

5.Yes, however I would not go more than bi-weekly/monthly.

Engineering and Data

1. What would we associate survey respondent answers to? Would we need multiple tables (i.e respondent (known), answer (unknown))?
    a) A Diamond DAO generated UUID?

I like the idea of this.

b) Wallet address?
c) Discord username?

2. Are existing Web3 polling frameworks suitable for our use case? I.e. Open Vote Framework - https://github.com/stonecoldpat/anonymousvoting
3. What options do we have for implementing polling under the following constraints:
a) Output can be analyzed and aggregated
b) User can configure level of anonymity, while preserving a)
c) Gas efficient

User should be able to configure anon. Surveys could be batched into one transaction to lower gas cost.

Survey design(s) first. Then these questions become a bit more clear.

Next steps

I propose that we take one week to provide preliminary answers to these questions. I think that everyone with an interest in providing answers should choose whatever methods (asking people in other DAOs, online research, thinking really hard) they think are most appropriate for answering these questions.

Post your answers as a response to this post; please be sure to include any underlying source information, even if it’s just “this was inspired by talking to my friend from another DAO.”

All source information comes from the survey I implemented at the Index Coop and my experience running it. Providing feedback.

Here is a link to the commnuity teachin that we did post survey https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrSnvFJOpE8&t=1722s

Also, I’m sure I’ve missed important questions. If you want to add questions please post them to #Squad so others have an opportunity to address before the Friday meeting.

It is okay if your answers are preliminary, informal, and incomplete. Right now we are in the Discovery Phase. Right now the most important thing is gathering the context to explore the right questions in a more focused way.

1 Like

Thanks for the thoughtful response @helmass.

Basically agreed with everything you laid out. I particularly appreciated your emphasis on the need to validate the usefulness of these surveys for the community before thinking about additional functionality or reward mechanisms.

A few comments / questions:

That makes sense to me. So they could choose to configure their instance to support anonymity

(i.e. hiding substance of an individual wallet’s answer) but by default we would make each wallet’s answers public. Is that in line with what you’re saying?

Also, here I’m assuming that we are talking about anonymity within the context of members of the DAO. What would we want the default for sharing with folks outside of the DAO be? Like would we want to limit the sharing of responses outside of the DAO to high-level aggregated metrics? Share individual wallet responses but anonymize?

Gotcha; sounds like putting some pre-work into the survey administration helps with response rates.

Where did you struggle? What could be easier / better?

What I mean here is that if someone, say, gave answers that indicated they were struggling to find information, the community manager who created the survey could use the application to immediately follow up with something that outlined relevant resources.

Gotcha. To confirm, here “this discussion” is referring to the design of the survey itself, right?

1 Like

Anonymity is such a misunderstood area. I think we have to be careful about how we approach surveys, starting with very non-threatening basic surveys about Community health and happiness and over time - thru a much more thorough research process than can get done in one week - unpack the issues around anonymity - which is also related to a fear of sharing information - and is a huge blocker for the DAO space in implementing the initiatives that the we have in the regular world for DEI. Ultimately, I would love to see something like a Glassdoor, but I don’t think the space is ready for that kind of standardization, yet. DAOs are still v experimental and compensation is not standardized at all. We could create polls that dig into these issues one by one but I think having them contextualized in a research container may make survey participants more comfortable with providing their information.

1 Like

Anonymity

I’m imagining a set of snap surveys (i made this up - sounds fun, right?) where a Community Manager can ship off an anonymous poll and the results are automatically reported at the end of the period - aggregated together therefore protecting identity of individual responders.

This would work for general recurring surveys like a 1-question NPS survey “How likely are you to recommend _____ to a friend?” 1-100. Very powerful.

In development, we have a short diagnostic survey on Community Health that could be offered in a menu of surveys that CM’s can send to their members quarterly or on a schedule. This is the working document from the research group on Surveys - heavily referencing Index Coop Report.

1 Like

100%. Another dimension for privacy is security. Survey responses contain demographic information that could be used to target social engineering/other hacking events.

Dani (attendee) mentioned that PII matched with addresses was a security threat.

Another attendee mentioned that they would feel creeped out if we reported on off-chain characteristics of specific wallets. Like “this wallet is male and in SF.”