Grant Proposal to bootstrap Chones

Strategic Ethereum Ecosystem Weaving

note: This proposal is to bootstrap Chones, not necessarily to provide Chones support to MolochDAO. The ask is based off the cost of a supporter NFT. If MolochDAO, or any member of MolochDAO, would like to join Chones, please complete this form.

Description

For organizations with principles, who want to attract attention to their brand, but would rather die than succumb to surveillance and manipulation marketing, Chones discovers and facilitates mutually beneficial collaborations across communities that amplify your message, so your voice receives valuable attention.

Manifesto/Vision

With a finite number of hours in a lifetime, we give our attention only to the finest chones. Thus, those who want to share a message are confronted with the challenge to respect the valuable attention of the receiver.

By curating knowledge sharing, attention is attracted to messaging with the most mutually beneficial outcome. Attention is saved as the tasks to facilitate and coordinate chones are completed with minimal participation overall.

As we support and rely on chones, over time, the success of our missions, the longevity of our most valuable creations, and the relevance of our cultures have a higher chance of increasing, because each mutually beneficial collaboration harvests time for the future.

Problem

Many Web3 products and decentralized organizations suffer from a lack of visibility. They need to attract attention to their message, whether that is for a protocol, service, product, or mission.

Traditional marketing efforts don’t fit with the values of these communities, or there isn’t agreement on what is the best way to get the word out, so nothing, or next to nothing, is done.

Solution

When DAOs are done right, they have a super power of connecting humans around missions and values, and building trust within communities. Chones is leveling up this super power by making connections and building trust, not just human to human, but also community to community.

These connections, across communities, provide ample opportunity to bring attention to each other’s messages, so everyone wins together.

Product Features

Build Relationships

Understand members’ communications and community strategy

• Meet with each member as needed
  • Attend community calls and/or events to get a sense of the culture and mission
  • Research the organization, including docs, blogs, discord, discourse and others channels
  • Maintain an evolving document, describing what the organization wants to convey and who they want to reach

Collect Information

Regularly collect information in many curated channels

• Choose channels to focus on, based off of what content, information and participants are present
  • Participate in these channels to be of benefit, provide value and earn trust
  • Maintain relationships in these channels to allow for open communications
  • Regularly, visit most channels to collect any information about events and announcements

Find Collaborations

Curate collaborations across organizations

• Look through collected information from channels and find ways to provide value
  • Compare these ways to add value with Chones members’ strategies
  • Discover how the ways to add value in the channels also adds value to Chones members

Find alignments

Collect sentiment until alignment is reached

• Reach out to individuals who are able to act on behalf of their organization in specific circumstances, or are willing to champion initiatives within their communities
  • Over time, correspond with these individuals in many direct messages and group chats

Coordinate actions

Facilitate mutually beneficial collaborations across organizations

• Complete tasks to bring collaborations to their best outcomes
    • For example: create shared calendar events, create supporting content, like tweet drafts or panel questions, and draft DAO proposals.
  • Provide support for a successful experience for everyone involved

Member Access

Access to Chones network and resources

• Support relationships between members
  • Curated Knowledge Sharing
    • Calendar
    • Network Relationship Manager (like a CRM)
    • Content feed

Validation

Raid Guild and Nonce hack, EthDenver 2023

Raid Guild, a global collective of freelance Web3 builders, and Nonce, a hacker village and vibrant community in Seoul, South Korea, brought hackers from all over the world together to collaborate, build and make friends at EthDenver 2023. Mentors, supporters and collaborators came from MetaCartel, Raid Guild, Nonce, EthDenver, Keyp, MetaCartel Ventures, Raid Brood and DAOhaus. 17 hackathon projects were submitted and one hacker was hired full-time by a sponsor.

Gitcoin Radio, Beta Round 2023

Bootleggers, which builds custom DAOs, hosted the 22nd hour in a 24 hour and 11 day Twitter Spaces marathon, called Gitcoin Radio, coordinated by Solar Punk Guild, which featured projects in the Gitcoin Quadratic Funding Beta Round. Guests on the Bootleggers’ radio slot included GeoWeb, Impact DAO book and course, LexDAO, Spirit DAO, xBound, Creative Platform, DAOhaus, wgmi, Giveth, MetaGammaDelta, Smart Invoice, Metagov, 0xcart Method, Charmverse, The DAOist, Blockscience, Token Engineering Academy, Common Ground, MetaGame, Talent DAO and Stateless. Bootleggers’ Twitter following increased by over 200% from a highly targeted audience.

Spork Sours at fbw fest 2023

Raid Brood DAO brewed Spork Sours beer, which were commissioned by EthDenver for the event in February and March 2023. Some were still in Denver, in July 2023. Chones went on an epic beer run, with the support of Raid Brood and fwb DAOs, to bring these beers out to Idyllwild, California for fwb fest, August 4-6, 2023. Los Angeles Creatives, learning about how Web3 could support their art, collected Proof of Drink NFTs and learned about a DAO that makes beer as swag together.

Progress

Chones was incubated and workshopped at DAO Palace 2023, with support from the brightest and most accomplished in DAOs, complex systems, startups, business development, community engagement, communications and more.

As of July 7, 2023, 8 organizations and individuals have signaled interest in joining Chones. Half hour, one on one conversations have occurred and strategies are being iterated on.

Differentiation (from other projects)

Chones attracts attention, but isn’t quite marketing.

Chones brings voices onto stages, but isn’t quite PR.

Chones lures butts into seats, but isn’t quite event promotion.

Team description:

BorrowLucid

Christina is the loudest auntie in the metaverse. She’s been contributing communications work to many notorious DAOs, like MetaCartel, MolochDAO, DAOhaus and Raid Guild, and battle testing the coolest new Web3 projects with her natural talent of operator error, since October 2021. While she never expects to master the language of dudebro, she is very comfortable in the demonic bloodletting language of Moloch lore and hopes to increase her practices of storytelling about infinite gardens in moon light. She thinks we should go camping.

Addigator

Addie is our favorite regen raver, with a degen past. Her flexible hips can dance past sunrise on a wearhouse dance floor and ski down a mountain, blanketed in snow. She was pressure testing value extracting defi systems back in 2017, until she met some friends, building regenerative systems, and converted to working together for more autonomy and positive sum. Now she’s a major part of the core contributors at wgmi, the DAO for community managers, and is probably sitting with a friend for another product demo at today’s Ethereum event.

Grant Request

0.03 ETH

What the funds are for

• Human Power:
    • 1 person at Âľ time
    • 2 people at ÂĽ time
  • Milestones:
    1. August 1 - September 30, 2023
      • understand organizations’ community and communications strategy
      • collect information from channels, curated to support organizations’ community and communications strategy
      • propose targeted potential collaborations and collect sentiment from those involved
      • facilitate collaborations, based on sentiment of those involved
      • curate shared calendar, network relations manager and content feed and provide NFT-gated access to members
    2. October 1 - November 30, 2023
      • understand organizations’ community and communications strategy
      • collect information from channels, curated to support organizations’ community and communications strategy
      • propose targeted potential collaborations and collect sentiment from those involved
      • curate NFT-gated and shared calendar, network relations manager and content feed
    3. December 1 - 31, 2023
      • curate NFT-gated and shared calendar, network relations manager and content feed

Additional Resources, Links, Portfolio

Chones.eth

Mirror announcement

Executive Summary

1 Like

This is why I will vote no on the Chones proposal.

• The problem statement is strong. Chones has identified an important missing piece that many DAOs can relate to.
  • The solution statement is weak. DAOs need more than connection, but actionable strategies for acting on those connections that could benefit one or both parties.
  • Chones is not a public good.
  • Network goods is not a thing, a made up concept. I think this phrase should be club goods.
  • The product features are all about discovery, which Chones seems to have already accomplished. The most important section is Coordinate Actions:

Facilitate mutually beneficial collaborations across organizations

Complete tasks to bring collaborations to their best outcomes

There is a powerful opportunity here for Chones to ratchet down on the specific of those collaborations for the DAOs they represent in their roster, but much more importantly, y’all need to define a concrete description of work for how those tasks will be completed. This is where the proposal becomes tailored to the needs of a specific org.

• I personally think the CRM offered is interesting, but not valuable in itself without an actionable strategy for how to utilize it. This is where marketing, PR, bizdev, sales, partnerships, :infinity: etc would begin. This also seems like the hard line that Chones has drawn in the sand, beyond which they are unwilling to venture. I think that’s a problem and missed opportunity.
  • The only way I can process the current proposal is asking DAOs to pay for basic relationship clarity and vibes ie: fun. These are hallmarks of any good DAOist, but absolutely not what we should be spending our treasury on.

For these reasons, I will be voting no on Chones proposals when I see them pop up. This is not a declaration of lack of faith in the people involved, but a discouragement of the general vibes-based value prop. I encourage others that disagree with me to speak up so we can have a generative conversation of how we might collectively learn from this experience.

1 Like

Travis :pray:t5: this proposal is for 0.03 eth, the price to mint a supporter NFT, which I hope the DAO will collect. Chones isn’t trying to offer any sort of service to MolochDAO, and only hoping to receive a small sign of signaling to keep up the work.

1 Like

I do understand that. That is the problem. You could be proposing Chones as a service, which has the potential to be incredibly valuable and is much needed.

1 Like

Thank you. I wouldn’t have thought that MolochDAO would want Chones service. There is a join form in the note at the beginning of the proposal.

Thank you for sharing, but I don’t have voting shares in MGD.

1 Like

My bad! I did not realize I was in Moloch. Regardless, I enjoyed about your offering.

1 Like

Just want to share a kinda retrospective :slight_smile:
Chones Season 0 Ecosystem Impact