MGP (Nov 2021): Panvala Memberships for MolochDAO Grantees

Description

Panvala is a DAO of DAOs who cooperate and earn perks from our shared endowment. Our mission is to connect as many communities as possible and drive more resources toward community life. We want events to be more vibrant, community leaders to feel more supported, and the social fabric of our communities to be tight knit so they can each pursue their own missions more effectively.

We’re proposing that Moloch DAO join Panvala and stake $150,000 worth of PAN tokens. Moloch aims to support its ecosystem of grantees, and each DAO that the Moloch DAO community wants to support would be able to benefit from this shared staked PAN instead of needing to acquire their own.

Team

• Panvala is a network of 68 communities, including Commons Stack, DAppNode, Dandelion Collective, Gitcoin, BrightID, and more.
  • The Panvala Fellows are eight members of the Panvala community who contribute their skills to make Panvala work. Rachel Holmes is the contact for the Fellows.
  • Niran Babalola is the founder of Panvala.

Use of Funds

We propose that Moloch DAO acquire $150K in PAN tokens to be staked to earn support for their grantees.

Please note that unlike most other grant proposals, we are not proposing that grant funds be spent. Staked PAN tokens do not leave the owner’s wallet. They can be used at any time without any permission from Panvala. More info is available here.

Justification

Building a new community requires canvassing & activating like-minded individuals to stand behind your mission. Panvala supercharges networking with events and coalitions and increases exposure with podcasts and collaborative marketing campaigns. The funding that communities earn can be spent in and ways the community wishes, as long as it enhances community life. Our team is also standing by to provide community counseling to overcome hurdles along the way.

Outcomes

1. Moloch DAO grantees that become part of the league under the Moloch’s umbrella, receive their Fair Share of Panvala’s quarterly inflation for 3 months in succession. Distributions in PAN are received in the wallet addresses of the grantees.
  2. Inducted DAOs present at Panvala’s monthly Town Hall.
  3. Moloch DAO grantees join a coalition, a small group of like-minded communities that meets monthly.
  4. Moloch DAO grantees receive community counseling in a quarterly check-in call. Their funding from Panvala can be used for more assistance on an ongoing basis.

Suggested next steps to onboard Moloch DAO grantees into Panvala

Panvala would need a list of the DAOs that Moloch would like to refer. For each Moloch DAO grantee, we would need to know the amount of funding each DAO has received so far, the number of parties who contributed those funds, and the number of community members in each DAO community. Lastly, we’d need at least one point of contact for each to proceed with onboarding steps.

External links

https://handbook.panvala.com/the-pan-token/pan-token-economics

I appreciate Niran taking the time to submit this proposal. I fully support the mission of Niran and his team at Panvala and believe that there is an incredible partnership in the making here. Panvala+MolochDAO=stronger together. Also this:

This is certainly a unique proposal considering MolochDAO’s history, but I cannot identify the downside here. I would be very curious to hear from other members on this. I imagine it may lead to many more fruitful relationships in the future, such as with Giveth, Gitcoin, and other culturally aligned grant awarding orgs. :white_heart::white_heart::white_heart:

Voting No on this proposal. I think that Moloch DAO should consider DAO-to-DAO relationships but should not rush in forming so many of them at once. Right now I think the relationships with Metacartel and MGD are more important for both Moloch & Ethereum, I think those relationships should be considered and solidified first before we rush into more, especially as our membership base as it is is very inactive and we need some better standards in place for how these relationships should work. I think we get to those standards by making 1-2 relationships with other DAOs work well and proving that to the membership base as something valid to fund before rushing into forming more relationships with DAOs all at once.

2 Likes