73: Funding Proposal - FWC "DAO Palace"

+1 on all points about this being of lower priority right now, given our circumstances.
-1 on these points about castles being inherently evil because of history.
+1 on @spencer’s concerns around overall efficacy as a marketing strategy.

The Mission

In my mind, we’re here to build accessible tools to help people coordinate–whether that’s software products, marketing and coordination material, or social coordination mechanisms. It’s pretty safe to say our scope is already way too big, and we’re probably not in the state to start sponsoring exclusive getaways.

Right now, we should be thinking about how we stay alive through the next year, so we can deliver on our original promises to community contributors and maintain baseline services.

Fun at Castles

I actually don’t have anything against castles. I think they’re beautiful buildings with stunning architecture that should be preserved and shared with anyone who wants to see them.

In my opinion, it’s a building. People can choose to use it for something positive. From what I can see, PalaceDAO is doing just that.

Collabing on some DAO project, IRL, in a small group sounds awesome. It’s probably the most effective way to create a great experience. However’s @spencer 's point here sums up my thoughts here perfectly.

cost of creating that value should be borne by the people the value most directly impacts, ie the participants.

Sure, maybe an idea created here could change the industry forever. Or maybe it’s just an idea someone has on Discord. I haven’t really seen the evidence that we need a castle to collab better.

The Optics

We should also consider the optics of what we’re proposing. Imagine if you were one of HAUS’s last few hodlers, holding on because they believe in us. Now imagine hearing that we’re diverting a portion of our scant funds so a minute few can hang out in a castle.

Many folks floating around on our Discords aren’t getting the full picture of what we do. From a shallow perspective, it could look like the crypto-elite is hanging out in castles while the rest of crypto burns. From what I’ve read in this post, this isn’t true at all, but I see how it could get spun.

I’m not a PR expert (we are paying for PR expertise; has anyone asked them?), but I would venture to say that the ROI doesn’t make a whole lot of sense given the paragraph above, and the overall reach we’d get.

Would be happy to discuss this further. Ping me on Discord if I don’t respond. I usually have trouble remembering to check these forums.

4 Likes

Also, since the XDAI being requested would have to come from WarCamp, this should really be in the Warcamp forum so more can participate.

1 Like

Fully agree with Jord’s points here, I also agree it doesn’t feel like an appropriate use of funds at least at this point in time for us.

Also a +1 to Ceres’s points on getting a cost breakdown possibly.

3 Likes

Why don’t we raise funds as a community using the Yeeter?

I think there were many great points in this thread, but in the interest of keeping the peace of the community I am going to stop pursuing this proposal :pray:t4:

I understand market conditions are tough and HAUS is seriously suffering, so as “one of the last hodlers” I will respect DAOhaus’s decision to allocate those scant funds effectively :money_with_wings: